PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coffee Break
Thread: Coffee Break
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2011, 05:30
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fortunate Fortune honoured at BP

Flt Lt Ian Fortune receives the Distinguished Flying Cross from the Prince of Wales at Buckingham Palace

An RAF pilot who managed to land his Chinook helicopter carrying injured troops after being shot in the head in Afghanistan was honoured at Buckingham Palace.

Flight Lieutenant Ian Fortune was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for rescuing injured troops under fire and while injured himself.

Prince Charles spoke to the pilot about his lucky escape and was enthralled by his "most excellent story".

After getting his award Flt Lt Fortune said: "It feels tremendous. The hairs on the back of my neck are still standing up. I feel very proud.

"The Prince of Wales asked me how I managed it all and I said I didn't really know."

In January 2010, the 29-year-old pilot had taken off from Garmsir in Helmand province with six wounded soldiers on board when his Chinook came under fire from Taliban militants.

One bullet came through the windscreen and shattered his helmet visor but was deflected by his night vision goggles.

Flt Lt Fortune recalled: "When I twigged that I had been hit with a bullet and that I was okay, it was a pretty amazing feeling.

"If it hadn't been for that bit of metal (on my goggles), I might not have been here today."

Despite his injuries the pilot managed to get his damaged helicopter back to base. All the wounded soldiers on board survived.

Flt Lt Fortune said: "The main sense of achievement as a result of getting those casualties back, and what we achieved as a crew, will stay with me for the rest of my life, I think."

The fortunate helmet

Sav