PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meloz and 89
Thread: Meloz and 89
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2002, 01:22
Truth Seekers Int'nl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes, the AFAP does have an impeccable record when it comes to supporting GA. it's (AFAP) work today is as valuable as it was when I joined the organisation in 1983. i had the honour to serve on two sub - branches during my GA days. i was not directly involved in the '89 dispute but my brother was and as a family, all shared his pain.
my comment to you re: survival of the AFAP, is because that is all the AFAP has done since that terrible dispute. they are nowhere near the powerful union they were in the heady days of the '80s and if you check the membership now, you see it is indeed GA that the AFAP truly represents. However, these days, the union is limited in it's powers to enforce Awards on Operators, to monitor unsafe work rules, to prevent discrimination in the workplace and the list goes on.
i believe the AFAP DOES still have it's rightful place helping GA and it is a good union but please don't imply that because it has "survived" it is the power house it used to be. IMHO it copped the same punishment as the other 4 airlines you mentioned but as a union and not a business, it is still in business.

Last edited by Truth Seekers Int'nl; 27th Sep 2002 at 01:28.