PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Battle of Britain film
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2011, 00:41
GQ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RST.

It'd be very jolly to see a well-made and accurate portrayal of RST. He was the archetypal RAF fighter pilot, and the very epitome of understated professionalism.
Realistically however, I'm struggling to think of many decent aviation films, let alone factual ones, that were worth watching for any but the flying sequences.... It's a difficult undertaking. There is also a tendency for those holding the purse-strings to play fast and loose with the facts to make the end result entertaining to a Disney age group of eight to eighty years old. Hollywood takes history and shreds it. U571 would be a good example. There is dumbing-down, and there is utter distortion.
I hope that you manage to attract sufficient funds to do RST's story justice - I really do. Just promise us that if you can't attract enough funding, you don't make it. We don't end-up with straight to video 'Movies for Men' special.
I think the last decent aviation film I saw was Dark Blue World, which I think was actually fiction but set in a quite accurate context. Very un-Hollywood and quite watchable. The CGI content was (Just.) passable.
Lastly, a pet hate of mine;- Speech is always a reflection of the times. People really did generally speak the Queens English at that time. No glottlestops and AQT and the general slaughter of English perpetrated on T.V & radio seventy or so years later.
Good Luck!