PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kalinga Airlines
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2011, 00:10
Worf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My late father flew Dakotas from Jorhat, Mohanbari and a bunch of other airfields in the Northeast of India from 1957-1959, then 1969-1970 and finally 1979-1982 for the Indian Air Force. (As a Pilot Officer, Squadron Leader and Group Captain respectively).

He used to talked about Kalinga Airways operating with them (including supply dropping sorties) early on. I don't think they were around in the 1970s in the supply dropping role, and Indian Airlines had started to edge them out from the passenger role.

Kalinga Airways was owned by Biju Patnaik - ex Royal Indian Air Force WWII Spitfire and Dakota pilot. He was highly connected politically and was the Chief Minister of Orissa state till he died.

My father talks about an ex-RAF Czech pilot who flew for Kalinga taking off in a torrential downpour. When my father told him that visibility was down to a few hundred yards, the Czech pointed to his thick soda glasses and said," I can't see more than a few hundred yards anyway, even in broad daylight!".

Someone should write the history of Kalinga - it is bound to be very interesting. I think Arthur Whitlock's book "Behind the Cockpit Door" talks about his time with Kalinga. But I haven't been able to locate a copy.