PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAA Increased Height, Weight and Water
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2011, 23:47
baswell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it is a fact that most of the breaches are VH registered GA aircraft, i think it would be necessary to control for experience level, recency and location, since places like the Moorabbin Schools are far more likely to generate CTA violations than some school teaching RAA stuff in the back blocks of Queensland.
As common sense would dictate that people fly near where they live, and indeed they do: near major cities and CTA. The busiest schools by far here in SA are:

Murray Bridge: under a 4500' step and next to a H24 Romeo.
Aldinga: below 4500' and right next to a 2500' step.
Gawler: go above 1500' or fly a wide circuit and you are in CTA.

This is where people in SA learn to fly, not in the "back blocks". Read the "other" forums; most pilots seem to be scared ****less of controllers and CTA and give it a wide berth. That's most likely why there are so few listed in the report. But every once in a while an outrageous story, self confessed or otherwise, shows up and you get the people here assuming everyone is like that.

As for the RAA "resistance" that seems to favour "no radio", "no transponder" tendencies
Here we go again with generalisations. The vast majority of RA-Aus aircraft have radios. And if you are not allowed in CTA anyway, why buy a transponder? You cannot hold against people what CASA doesn't hold against them...

I assume you also don't carry an EPIRB or PLB,
Would you mind elaborating why you assume that? Lies, damn lies and statistics, as they say... (I don't have any stats, but presumably, you do?)