PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lossie saved, Leuchars to the Army
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2011, 21:55
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
It may well be a Cathedral City Roadster, but it is as you say, a long established Garrison town. The character of St. Andrews though, is still far more likely to have a hefty culture chock visited on it. I understand the inhabitants around Abingdon and Oxford weren't too happy about the Army moving into Abingdon (Dalton Barracks), whether their fears were unfounded is entirely possible I'm sure. But the Army by nature employs a lot more young men, who by nature of the kind of service environment and culture they are brought up in, means at the very least, local perceptions aside, there will be an increased likelihood of larger groups of young men with "attitude" shall we say, looking for a good time on Friday and Saturday night. No doubt St. Andrews would cop its share of young soldiers thronging into Ma Belles and the West Port, just looking for a good time chatting up the young students. When I was stationed at Gatow (although just one particular regiment) the Black Watch billeted a hundred yards or two down the road at Montgomery Barracks were banned from entering the R.A.F. Station, by the Station Commander. This was following an incident involving a knife being pulled at the Naafi Disco one night. Then there was another incident in which a Sergeant from my own unit, charged a small gang from said Regiment who were drunk on the Bus returning from a night out, they allegedly had been making luid remarks to a young girl on the Bus. She was the Group Captain's Daughter. However, upon arrival at Monty Barracks, said Sergeant, Gerry Flanagan, got a culture shock of his own when he saw how the Guardroom RMPs/RPs dealt with the matter in short order. I think he ended up feeling sorry for them afterwards and wishing he'd said nothing on that score alone.

FB