PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2011, 13:16
jamesdevice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, this is probably a silly question and I expect to get my head bitten off, but... its seems an interesting one to ask. How easy (and costly) would it be to knock up a fleet of say 100 new-build "super harriers" based on existing, but modern technology? I was thinking of something that revisited / updated the P.1154 concept with supersonic plenum-chamber burning Pegasus, modern lightweight composite structure, with electronics / avionics kit adapted from the Typhoon, and as far as possible stealth-equipped OK I realise the stealth may be difficult to meet, but surely something with a similar stealth performance to a Typhoon should be possible? Surely it must be possible to put together an aircraft which offered low development risk, using existing available technology and materials and would offer a low-cost carrier alternative to the F-35? After all the plenum-burning Pegasus was sorted as a concept years ago, you'd just need to work out how to hide the IR signature a bit. But overall, surely there must have been enough work already done on updated Harrier concepts for someone to be able to put together a low-risk design fairly quickly? and cheaply?