PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester Airport Viewing Park
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2011, 12:41
mark.kelly256

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Facilities at the AVP

I must say that the AVP @ Manchester is probably the best of its kind in the UK, though I'm open to any correction that anyone wants to make about that.

I travel over there regularly from Nottingham (great views via the Woodhead Pass and also on the run via Chesterfield/Chatsworth, NOT the horror run via the A50/M6) - if only people at EMA (ironically the same as those who run Manchester) realised that it pays to be nice to spotters, not harass them or make them risk life & limb around the site?

What I'd like to see improved at the AVP, from entrance to exit:

improved access, and a clearer notice advising people what it costs to come in by car, so they can opt out more easily if not prepared to pay

tarmac on the parking area (pigs might fly first)

relocation of the mound nearest the screened-off area (which must have been built before the screens were erected there?) or construction of a new mound (preferably at a greater height than the existing ones, to take the fence out of the picture in photos?) which takes into account the needs of dedicated spotters

some kind of fencing/shelter on the mound(s) to protect from the prevailing winds, if H&S legislation/costs allow

clean toilets with an extract fan - those in the visitor centre are fine, but their use by spotters is often discouraged by the staff, in my experience

a bit more space in the shop - wonderful stock, but too much of it in the middle of the floor!

also in the shop - put the radar display where people can at least admire it, not many of us can afford to purchase it (though I'm crazy enough to be working on that)?

on busy days, more staff to assist with egress/exit from the car park, I agree with the gentleman who made the point about it taking too long - maybe even have a car park pay prior to exit machine as many car parks do?

Yes, all of the above cost money - but looking at the numbers that have turned up on recent holiday days, is the VP not making any? It'd be terrible to lose the facility, or see it deteriorate, and if there's anything I can do to prevent that....?

Further thoughts on any aspect of the above, or additions to it, are more than welcome,

Happy Viewing!

Mark