PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2011, 12:17
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Justanopinion/Wrathmonk

The late 2009 reduction in Harrier numbers was a stealthy hit against the RN.

Likewise, the reduction in active Harrier numbers — from around 60 to around 40, unless I’m mistaken — translates into “less embarked time at sea for Joint Force Harrier squadrons,” Stanhope said.

I heard a rumour that the First Sea Lord at the time would have been willing to sacrifice ships to protect Harrier numbers....

Engines

I also wondered why the Sea Harrier force had been able to keep up a high operational tempo with around thirty aicraft - but this couldn't be done nowadays? I assume that the high sortie rate wasn't just down to the Sea Harrier squadrons, but to the CVS crews, from chockheads experienced in working with live jets on the flight deck down to the ME watchkeepers?

Which brings us back to basics - how will the skills been kept/regenerated for the future? I know there is talk of limited numbers of personnel going on exchange, but...

I would suggest that basics are basics, regardless of whether the future is V/STOL or involves "Cats and traps". Will there be exchanges for lots of chockheads - moving live jets on deck 24 hours a day in all weather in rough sea states, the people who fuel, arm and work on aircraft on deck - amongst jet blast (and FOD issues) the OOW and bridge team - who have to put the ship in the right place, direction and speed for aircraft to take off or land, Ops Room personnel - who have to operate sensors/weapons and talk to aircraft, maintainers of this equipment, landing aids maintainers, the ME watchkeepers keeping a nice level deck and increasing speed when needed, ATC types, Fighter Controllers, senior Officers in the carrier (Cdr(Air), Lt Cdr(Flying), Captain, XO) - they need to know how to run things, senior Officers elsewhere (MOD, Navy Command, task group commanders) who need to know how aircraft are used as task group weapons, etc?

Did the people who made this decision (the Prime Minister himself apparently, and CAS and the then CDS) understand this? The First Sea Lord did....

The MOD website recently had this story about the new defence agreement with France. Surely having an OPERATIONAL carrier (with aircraft) would help?

Back to Libya, where it now appears that there are gaps in the implementation of the no fly zone - maybe having bases so far away is making things difficult?

Gaddafi destroys Misrata rebels' fuel supply in air raid

Light aircraft normally used for spraying pesticides were deployed for the overnight attack in Qasr Ahmed, close to the port, rebel spokesman Ahmed Hassan said today.

Bombs were dropped on four large storage tanks, destroying them and sparking a huge blaze that spread to four more, he said.

Nato was notified by the rebels about the planes before the attack but did not respond, said Hassan.

Time=Distance/Speed strikes again?

Also reported by Sky News. Also by the BBC:

There were also unconfirmed reports from rebels that pro-Gaddafi forces were using helicopters with the Red Cross or Red Crescent insignia to carry out their assault on Misrata.

Some time ago a mention was made of the possible use of naval gunfire. Well, it has happened - see here. More specifically, see this (in French). I believe the following is a decent translation:

For the first time other than for exercise, a French Navy frigate has opened fire against land targets with its main gun. This action occurred on the night of 7 May. The frigates Billhook and Jean Bart were on a mission monitoring the Libyan coast when the Billhook spotted fire from a battery of rocket launchers on the coastal strip to the south east of the beseiged city of Misurata. The French unit opened fire with its 100mm mounting to stop the bombardment of the civilian population. At least one of the rocket launcher vehicles was destroyed.

"This action underlines the complementary nature of the naval embargo and air component in the French involvement with the implementation of Resolution 1973 aimed at protecting the civilian population", explained the French Navy.

This engagement by the Billhook also demonstrates the utility of the gun in littoral operations. In this case, gunfire enabled the neutralisation of the threat effectively and at low cost.

A Fayette type frigate, the Courbet has a Mk 68 100mm turret with stealth shape and upgraded technology. The mounting weighs a total of 22 tons, has a rate of fire of 80 rounds per minute and a maximum range of 20 km. Targeting is conducted using the CTM Fire Control System which can track a target at night as easily as by day. The mounting can be used against aircraft, targets on the surface or targets on the coast.

The MOD also has a story about the logistics of RAF operations in Libya:

Transporting vital equipment for Libya operations

To date, in support of Operation ELLAMY, 2 MT Squadron personnel, based at RAF Wittering, have travelled the equivalent distance of eight times around the world and transported 1,680 tonnes of kit down to the airfield at Gioia del Colle to support 906 Expeditionary Air Wing.

So why do people seem to pretend there are no logistical (or security) issues with deploying to an airfield in a friendly nation? Later...

Some are still deployed in Italy and France maintaining the sustainment supply convoys that continue to leave RAF Wittering on a regular basis.

Will there be "lessons learnt" at some point?