PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it possible to retain a Class 1 after a brain tumour?
Old 11th May 2011, 12:03
vfrrider481

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EP,

No problems, the letter from the CAA has gone on to the consultant neurosurgeon for his report. I have added a covering letter to explain a little more about what I am looking for from the CAA so hopefully he can focus on that area.

LR,

I'm no psychologist, but certainly a key factor in recent events is stress. The results of the stress can obviously manifest in several ways, and I suspect the migraine was one such manifestation. I appreciate the need to compartmentalise my issues, however I feel I need to make a little distinction.

Some of my posts have been written in an open and slightly raw manner. As a result the reflection is very much the acute feelings or sensations at the time the post was written. In the long term, the weather is much brighter that the short term squalls might imply. My focus in the intial days highlighted family, finances, health etc. Now many of these areas have been worked upon between me and my wife and are in stable and comfortable place.

With every checkup, scan or appointment there is obviously a blip in the stress level, but these very rapidly ease. My focus over the last 8 weeks has shifted from the what if...over to lets find out what I can do. The intial barrage from work and healthcare professionals reinforces a very negative viewpoint with "you can't do x,y,z..." I have set myself challenges looking forwards of completing an open univeristy qualification which I am part way through; working through the medical situation with the CAA; looking at roles outside of my current employment in the police that interest me should aviation not be available; and finally, and much more importantly looking for opportunities to enjoy life with friends and family.

My thoughts months ago obviouly looked at short term issues, but these days look at years. All of this is much easier of course when not feeling ill.

As far as compartmentalisation goes following that little lot, I wouldn't really know how to do so, but then every road with illness is different for every individual I suspect.

The future isn't orange, but it's certainly mine for the taking. Oh and most of my vision has come back over the last few days, but at least I have an insight as to what may come, hopefully many years into the future,

Kind regards,
VFR