PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA JAA hour building question
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2011, 11:19
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Piloot

There is an old Arab Proverb that says "Cheap is not is cheap".

I have to state my interest in this subject in that I rent my aircraft to hoursbuilders in Europe. This gives me a good feel for the economics and pitfalls of the industry as well as seeing who achives good results at the CPL skills test and more importently who has trouble.

The first thing is that the seemingly attractive rate of flying in the USA should be tempered by including the costs of getting to and staying in the USA that alone will bring the cost far nearer to the European cost than you might think.

Next you need to look at the small print in the contract, usualy if you pick up fuel away from base you will have to pay a lot more for it.

Is the aircraft allocated to you for the day or do you get it in two or three hour blocks?

Do you get your money back if weather prevents you from flying?

What is the real state of the aircraft? (this is not a comment about any particular operator but a comment on the USA hourbuilding industry).

You need to check these things out as they will have a large effect on the cost.

The Quality of what you do will have a great effect on your flying ability long after the hour building is over, just following the inerstate is no match for learning to navigate in Europe it wont help your situational awairness and the way the Americans use the radio is of little use in Europe, assuming that your aim is an EASA (f)ATPL you will have to take a lot more navigation trainning at CPL level than you would if your hourbuilding had been in Europe.........you need to make provision for this extra cost not just to pass the CPL but the extra cost of not being fully with the radio or being able to paint a good mental navigation picture will increase rapidly when you reach the type ratring simulator. As an airline pilot I have seen the badly trained newcomers repidly eat extra simulator time at vast cost to themselfs.

That having been said I took a look at the NCB aviation website and at first glance it seems like a reputable place, being away from the usual suspects in Florida is good for a start, it is cheaper to live and cheaper to fly in the Great Lakes area. Having worked for an airline based in Detroit I have to say that I enjoyed the flying but in the summer the area can be subject to massive thunderstorms hence you need to check if you get your money back if weather stops you flying.

I fully expect some people telling you that they had no problems with flying following hourbuilding in the USA, I have no doubt that they are telling the truth as individuals but over 30 years in the aviation business I have seen countless newcomers who have had problems that had the root cause in over reliance on flying in the USA. Because they have had problems they don't tend to talk about it on public forums.

And a final bit of advice.....................if you ever find yourself at Detroit Metro DONT go to the Landing Strip......... you can't afford it despite the low cost of entry!

Do go to the Wheat & Rye........ a first class bar........But DONT order anything from the menu in large, it will take you a week to eat it!