PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Roulettes Questions
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2011, 07:29
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Teh, of the jets that the other air forces fly they are mostly trainers; only the US has sufficient 'modern' operational fast jets to spare for aerobatic team.

The RAAF has relatively small numbers of jets, including trainers, but a relatively larger number of PC9.

To provide a reasonable number of F18 or Hawk would denude or compromise your operational squadrons or cripple your training system. On the other hand you would appear to be able to spare enough for a prop-team.

Now you could provide a fast-jet team if you bought a number of additional airframe, so it does come down to money as it does everywhere else. An air display may be thrilling; it may be a great recruiting tool. But if you have to reduce the operational front line or forego some other tax-payer funded facilities it may feature lower down the desirablity list.

In the UK the Red Arrows use old Hawk T1s that are approaching the end of their service lives. To keep the Reds going would require re-equipping with Hawk 128s. These would be at the expense of the training system and once again they are considering disbandment of the RAF Aerobatic Display Team.

On the positive side, with the draw down of the RAF we may be over provided with trainers and possibly able to spare Hawk 128s or even, sacre blue, Tucano