PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2011, 03:02
takata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machinbird
Thanks for that Turbine D. Can that be interpreted that you consider it improbable that AF447's engines would become stalled, even at high Angle of Attack? I know that engine technology has come a long way since Davies described an aircraft flaming out both engines while locked in a deep stall.
If Turbine D say so then! (about military jets).
This GE J79 was introduced in 1955. But since, many events are still recorded during standard operation in tropical atmosphere. I'm not even talking about an "abonormal attitude" situation like AF447 was supposed to be in such a "free falling like a leaf thru the storm" scenario.

I don't think that you really bothered to read this 2007 (short) paper I already posted (and there is much more on this subject, proof that this issue is taken very seriously and for a while). Now, this paper is only about "ice crystal" above 22,000 feet related events and their statistics are far from being complete:

Since 1990
, there have been at least 100 jet engine power-loss events on both commuter and large transport airplanes, mostly at altitudes higher than 22,000 feet, the highest altitude where airframe icing is expected to exist.

"Power loss" is defined as engine instability such as a surge, stall, flame*out, or rollback that results in a sub-idle operating condition. High-altitude ice crystals are believed to have caused most or all of these events.

S~
Olivier