PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAA Increased Height, Weight and Water
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2011, 00:28
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BAS

Very much agree with your comment, however many of the VCA's are minor incurssions but the Piper LSA was a doosy. Lucky and I am deadly serious, lucky he did not get rolled up in the wake of the B767.

The greater numbers of the reported VCA's could be the fact ATC actually get a hold of the GA guys becuase they are on the appropriate frequency. Many RAA guys poke through undetected due lack of transponders, or they are turned off. So they never make the reports.

So does a PPL have more knowledge than a well trained RA-aus pilot? I am not convinced; having done both sets of theory exams, I don't spot much difference and whatever may be harder on the CASA exams is probably off-set by the higher pass mark (80%) required for the RA exams.
Sounds like you went to a decent RAA school, years ago this was not always the case, believe me! The Pass mark on CASA exams is around 80ish % also, or is for IREX which is the last one I remember, PPL stuff was too long ago.

The point here is a well trained RAA pilot, like many produced around my part of the world is just as aware, but in the past the concept of flight above 5000' was not an issue, it was not available and the concept of actually sticking to the correct levels, clearance from cloud and using an ERC chart for the most appropriate frequency is greatly unheard of. A very large number of capable, safe and well meaning older RAA pilots have no idea what an ERC is, let alone use it. You can bank that one too. Knowing who you are I believe your experience, heck I and most on here have no trouble with this, but there are a large number of folk who just simply do not know what they don't know. They hear the new freedoms and blast off.

Bas
I have scanned the article. The obvious stand out question is: does this guy have a PPL that would allow him to fly where he did? That doesn't seem to be answered in the article.
No this guy DOES NOT have a PPL, he is 72 and did his RAA certificate last year. I might add he also kept asking for a clearance to enter Class G airspace because he did not have a clue how to use the VTC. Sure at least he did the right thing and contacted ATC, and they then stepped him down to keep him OCTA, but in other cases, he was in CTA/R some of which were not printed. He is being given remedial training by a JQ C&T Captain over this, but thats a friendly deal, not an official RAA training program.

What strikes me as strange is that just about every magazine they send out has a story with something like this that should never be printed. Not because it will get them into strife, others think its OK to do the same.

Shrike
What I've seen is a sharp dividing line between those who fly regularly and those who fly occasionally for pleasure.
Yep you have hit the nail on the head there mate

Frank
History lessons hey Frank, well the great mobility of RAA is a recent thing not part of the history of 46 years ago. Think about today.

I know T28D has a vast experience, great qualifications etc etc....and I have never questioned them, but when he starts his usual...."cant add anything constructive so start name calling", such as self serving crud, I think he deserves a spray. Geeze if we really started the name calling dummy spits it would be like you lot and your A##A bunfights of the past. So when he pulls his head in a little and adds something of value, even if he does not agree with others views, I will have nothing to take offense from.

As for the C340....yep I do thanks. But only a very small few on here would have picked that little cryptic description, so how about you don't run any more flags up the pole, because YOU may out him by mistake.

Get your mate to stick to debates and quite the childish behaviour. You know there is a common thread there.....

As for T28D joining RAA, thats great news, over in his part of the world I hope he can contribute to furthering their members education and experiences. After all in such an environment it is a waste of talent and experience if it is not shared around.

Last edited by Jabawocky; 11th May 2011 at 00:39.