PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why no helo transport? Are we condemning our diggers to an easy victimology?
Old 10th May 2011, 23:54
Bushranger 71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm Mythbuster20; maybe you have just revealed yourself as the author of 'The Tactical Air Support Group' as featured on the AAAvn website (www.fourays.org).

I am not aware who the RAAF Wing Commander was who headed the Editorial Committee of the Australian Defence Force Journal, but that group blew their credibility by allowing publication of a paper that embraced this ridiculous assertion considering recorded history of the Vietnam War:

'It could be said that apart from the Caribou Squadron, RAAF involvement in Vietnam was almost inconsequential to the conduct of Australian ground operations in a war that was essentially a ground conflict.'

See my guidance in post #216 regarding a critique of the another paper on the AAAvn website: 'Command and Control of Battlefield Helicopters' by Wing Commander Martin Sharp, RAF. Interestingly, I have previously sought to respond to both papers, but the Fourays Executive have point blank refused opportunity (and for others). I also offered to allow them to publish 'The Bushranger Story' which they would not allow without editing.

The misinformation regarding the RAAF helo force since inception in 1962/63 has been voluminous. Its structure was developed largely along joint planning lines with 3 utility squadrons and 1 MLH squadron created and facilities developed where preferred by Army. While all of that was happening, the most significant portion of Air Force helo activity was Army support training for a proliferation of units/sub-units all around the nation, which has seemingly much diminished since transfer of battlefield helos to Army Aviation in 1989. The ambitions of the Generals wanting helicopters under command dismantled a structure that had greatly benefited Army.

The capabilities gaps that have emerged from the flawed ADF helicopter fleet rationalisation plan (spawned within Army Aviation) would likely not have materialised had the helo transfer decision not eventuated. The Army has crapped in its own nest.