PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glasgow Accident Inquiry Findings
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2002, 19:33
Covenant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot Pete

I'm afraid I have to agree with MOR. The "casual factors" if my understanding of English is correct, mean the factors that caused the accident. Here is the excerpt from the report:

Causal Factors

The investigation identified the following causal factors:

1. The left engine suffered a catastrophic failure of its accessory gear train leading to a progressive but complete loss of power from that engine.

2. The propeller of the failed engine was not feathered and therefore the aircraft was incapable of climbing on the power of one engine alone.

3. The commander feathered the propeller of the right-hand engine, which was mechanically capable of producing power resulting in a total loss of thrust.

4. The commander attempted to return to the departure airfield but lost control of the aircraft during a turn to the right.
No intent to disrespect the dead, or to demean the commander's ability or experience, but mistakes can happen. We really need to stop pretending that pilots are anything other than human beings. Highly trained and skilled they might be. Above average intelligence and decision making abilities they might have. Superhuman they are not, and mistakes they will make from time to time.

It may make a tragic accident more painful if you know that it was avoidable, and it may open the door to blame and recrimination from people desperately searching for somewhere to assuage their grief, but it does not justify hiding from the truth. People make mistakes - we all do. Most of the time we are not forced to pay for those mistakes with our lives, but occasionally, and tragically, sometimes we do.