PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF DFW in - SFO out
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2011, 14:27
PPRuNeUser0198

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Limelight
From MEL, I see one flight to Europe on QF, 3 on SQ, 3 on CX, and the rest, plenty of them. Want to do a study on that? Not to mention dropping SFO! Planning cannot be that inept?
The advantageous of hub and spoke opportunities - not available to end-of-the-line carriers. Primary traffic for Qantas is through-traffic unfortunately to two ports. The others will carry greater traffic due to larger through-network opportunities into various cities. Qantas cannot do that. SIN would need to be a hub with unlimited restrictions into European cities - not possible due to bilateral restrictions.

SFO - not supported. Traffic was low yield.

The Europe LHR centric system is recognized as lunacy, but has continued despite customers deserting.
What choice does Qantas have. Many restrictions are forced upon due to bilateral i.e. CDG. If Qantas could secure daily, they'd be there in a flash. But no, only SQ and AF can offer daily.

FCO - all VFR traffic. Low yield.

Other competitors in the region - not the same apples for apples conditions - they should never be compared. Only carriers operating under the same conditions in the same region should be compared like-for-like. In this instance, Qantas and Virgin.

QF will only grow its network when it can offer a greater number of point-to-point services, bypassing restrictive bilateral and end-of-the-line disadvantages. The 78 will support this.

You'll then see an increase in market share as the consumer is attracted to a "no-stop" travel solution over a hub stop...

Mark my words - 78's will equal network expansion.