PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - San Francisco
Thread: San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2011, 13:39
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flying beneath the Golden Gate Bridge is not as thrilling as at first it may seem. Flying above the cable towers at night, that is different, you get a wonderful perspective of height as well as a unique view of the steel cables which used to be illuminated. Flying under the Bay Bridge, now that is different!

On my first visit to San Francisco I arranged to self-fly-hire an Astar from an outfit call AstroCopters at Oakland. Their Chief Pilot, a charming chap by the name Will Prater, took me on an induction flight during which, after pulling out of Oakland, we followed the waterway northwards and, as we approached the Bay Bridge, he proffered the question: 'Would you like to fly under or over the bridge?' After a brief exchange on the legalities and upon being informed that there was no restriction (this is late 80's) I replied: 'Well, I've never flown under a bridge before, so let's do that!'

On later visits I would repeat the experience including a nighttime 'underpass' which was most enjoyable!

Sav

ps: John, on your trip be sure to take a stoll down to Pier 49 and try out a bowl of San Francisco clam chowder served in sourdough - delicious!

San Franciscan Clam Chowder!