PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2011, 13:22
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Sopwith Files: More Sopwith ...

Grazie Mille Hof! I just find it strange that I can't remember having seen it during my visits there.

The fact that G-IINA is at Shoreham is a splendid affirmation of MB's post (#668) in which he cited sightings of the Sopwith fleet at the field.

While on pubs, one of my favoured pubs in England is in fact in Sussex; Badgers, just south of Petworth House along the road to Goodwood. They used to serve an interpretation of 'Bubble & Squeak' which was basically a potato pankcake with all sorts thrown in. A simple and inexpensive dish which, when washed down with their local ale, was scrumptious.

More Sopwith ...

It would appear from this Flight Article (1st April 1971) that Tommy was at some point a director of CSE Aviation:

Also, this rather interesting piece (below) which refers to Tommy as Chairman of the BHAB and how he temporarily utilised the 'Mercator' (a Thames lighter) as a helipad during the 1973 London Plane Show. Evidently they logged 100+ movements without any complaints.

Now I am reasonably confident that this is one and the same event which my godfather related to me whereby local residents complained bitterly that they had not been given prior notification of the temporary use of the barge as a helipad stating that had they been notified .. they would have complained .. on principle! Lol .. some things never change!

Flight International November 1973

Sav