PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "cleared approach" = cleared to do what?
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2011, 12:38
HEATHROW DIRECTOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been validated at half a dozen or more ATC units both in the UK and abroad and nowhere have I ever seen written down what you appear to be looking for.

Air traffic controllers are trained to issue clearances to pilots depending on various factors, e.g. traffic, runway in use, approach aid, weather, etc. Pilots are trained to follow approach procedures which are detailed on charts and various aircraft computers. At airfields, controllers must be fully conversant with the various approach procedures so that they can provide a safe service to all aircraft following those procedures. When you clear an aircraft to carry out an approach, you can expect the pilot to follow the published procedures for that approach. What else might you expect?

It would be impossible to detail in writing precisely what happens when every clearance is issued. For example, a ground controller may issue hundreds of clearances in an hour and none will be detailed in any manual.

I had the (doubtful) pleasure of once training a controller who had learnt the phraseology section of MATC parrot-fashion. So.... whenever an aircraft called for taxy clearance he said the same thing, as detailed in MATC, even though it bore no relation to what was required of the pilot!!!! It took a very long time to convince him that he was wrong...