PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAA Increased Height, Weight and Water
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2011, 05:54
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Frank

It wasn't so long ago people on this forum were advocating NON TSO'd ADSB.
A bit of imagination going on here , but to be frank in Class G that is better than being blind. Now stick to the facts would ya!

As that pilot will be, by law, flying VFR, persons flying IFR in that VFR really should look out the window every now and then to preserve the notion of practicing good airmanship.
Yep, provided they are following the LAWS of VFR which I have seen countless numbers of them not. - So Training ought to be mandatory.

As those people would reasonably expect NO VFR aircraft to be flying in cloud, it's not much to ask really. Or is it?
Nope......provided they do stick to the VFR rules, and that means clearance FROM cloud.

Anyone who has a cross country endorsement has a knowledge of hemispherical levels. Anyone with a RAA certificate has undergone a Human Factors exam. Anyone who has a transponder will have it turned on as is the law. Anyone who has a radio will, as is also the law, be licensed and competent to use it. And anyone capable of reading his now common gadget (a GPS), will have some degree of knowing where he is.
Yep, but tell me in the RAA Syllabus for all the presently certificated pilots (and they go back a long way), how much training of transponders is there? How much training on appropriate frequency is there? The fact you mention anyone who has a current certificate has done human factors course and passed the exam, says to me the same should be required for those new privilleges.

The alternate to all this is that everyone with a RAA certificate is a moron and only GA PPL's have a valid reason to be flying in that airspace. Oh, and the RPT God's and Princesses.

As for flying over water, well if the above paragraph rings true to you, there is a good chance they will drown themselves thus ridding you of the worry of bumping into them.
Frank insolent attitudes like that do nobody any good, and really I know you were just trying to be funny and you do not really mean it.

Unlike the CTA campaign, which I strongly oppose, for the RAA's own good, this bunch of privilleges is really a good thing. However, with increased freedoms comes increased responsibility, and to be honest the same kind of mandatory requirement for a two day training course and exam just like the HF course, would be very beneficial.

Now Frank and anyone else who is brave enough to pick up the last RAA magazine, can I ask you to read about the story of the delighful old chap travelling into Victoria, across the Bass Straits, back up the coast of Vic/NSWQld. Read that and tell me how well this chap knows the rules?

More the point I happen to be privy to a whole lot more of his story, and thank the aviation Gods he did not print that . For that matter read the last 12 months worth.

So lets stop having biased shots, and lets start seriously tackling the problem, and Frank & Leadsled both could use common sense here and apply pressure to their RAA mates to introduce a requirement for training courses to be completed by the next BFR. You know you have the contacts, its just doing the right thing by your mates.

Unfortunately you and Leadie and the RAA management probably all have a PPL or mostly higher and do not often realise the average punter member does not know what he does not know.

This is not an Anti-RAA sentiment folks, its proactive constructive criticism.

J