PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2011, 05:21
mitcho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Guys,

I have a tricky question regarding the required order of events for becoming a pilot in the Army. If anyone can shed light on this it would be much appreciated...

I have recently been through the initial stages of my application for appointment as an Army GSO Pilot - Duntroon. I have done initial testing, and also passed pilot specific testing in Melbourne. I hurt my knee (nothing serious) playing footy about a week prior to my Assessment Day, and had to postpone it a couple of months to ensure I was fully fit for the medical.

However, I was very keen to go into Duntroon in the July 2011 intake (civilian employment is just too painful), and this is where my question arises:

I understand that I still need to have my Assessment Day, have my file sent and accepted for FSP, go to FSP and pass before going into the pool where I wait for an offer. I also acknowledge that this can be a lengthy process, and there is absolutely no chance of having all of this done before the July intake at Duntroon this year.

Can I go through the selection process and enter Duntroon as a standard GSO (defence recruiter has confirmed I should be able to get it all done for upcoming July intake) and apply for GSO pilot from there? I'm 90% sure I have read somewhere on this board that I can apply for Flight Screening whilst at Duntroon, and if accepted, attend the FSP during my tenure at Duntroon. All going well, I would progress into ADF Basic Flying Training upon graduation from Duntroon...

Is this correct?

I have asked DFR about this but they are unsure. I also understand that there is a risk of not being accepted as a Pilot once in Duntroon, and will be required to complete my Return of Service obligation as a GSO in another Corps.

I look forward to any help on this!

Thanks and regards,

Mitcho