PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2011, 20:41
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SaturnV,

Tim Vasquez's paper is indeed an impressive document. As I don't have to remind you, he did not entirely rule out the possibility of what he calls a "Warm sink" by the northern face of that Cb, which I guess marks the "front" of what the French still call le "Front Inter-Tropique". I suppose that this warm sink would amount to a downward kink in the tropopause. And we all know what flying in and out of the "trop" can be like.

The increase in SAT would lower the Mach for a given TAS. The wind would change, and the BEA commented that there was a weak jetstream of 280/85 at latitude 10N to the west of track. This MIGHT indicate a switch from very light headwind to a tailwind on the north side of the ITCZ. The downdraft also might cause loss of performance. The engine thrust would be lower for a given N1. Turbulence would be inevitable. The combination of all these factorss might present significant handling problems, even without the loss of reliable IAS/Mach indications.

Vasquez's flight-profile suffers slightly from lack of available data: I refer particularly to the isotherms, which he had to draw perfectly horizontal. Interestingly, the altitude scale is for true altitudes, and he shows AF447 at 35000ft on the -43C isotherm. On his modified SKEW-T for the "most probable" case (Fig 11), he has substituted a true altitude scale for the scale of pressure (millibars) on the vertical axis. The diagonal isothermic lines show -43C as being at about 37000ft, which I interpret as being the true altitude at FL350 (due to the ISA deviation).

If you suddenly encounter even warmer air (albeit only affecting the higher levels not the whole atmosphere below you), you need to climb even higher to maintain FL350...

Chris