PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2011, 20:21
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Speed/height trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredF4
Flying at FL 350 with a still heavy aircraft, how much climb could be produced even with full power?
The mass doesn't enter into the equation. I see gums answered most of the questions you raised. Here is just a graph illustrating speed traded for height at constant total energy: Zoom Climb
Do i understand the graph correct?

Flying S&L at FL 350 with 470 TKAS, i can zoom the A330 to FL430 by trading 250 Kts of my TAS, provided thrust equals drag? To initiate this zoom, how much additional drag would be produced and how would that effect the result, if thrust is not increased?

What would be the rate of climb and AOA? We discussed the possibility of a sudden pitchup-scenario, not an easy and gentle climbing maneuver, which the graph probably represents, didnīt we?

Why does the mass not enter into a "useful" equation? Iīm aware of the title "Constant TE Thrust=drag", bat higher mass means higher drag, therefore higher thrust to maintain TE (drag=thrust) is necessary, isnīt it?

At what altitude would the speed be below stall-speed and what would the stall speed be?