PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do I get an ATPL/IR?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2001, 16:32
foghorn

Airlines seem to think that integrated course pilots are better than modular course pilots. This is unusual because we all have to pass the same exams and skills tests, and the big integrated schools also offer modular courses! There must be some reason for it, though.

From what I've seen and heard, if you are low hours, being from an integrated course increases your chances of getting hired. Once you're through that magic 1,000 hours barrier, though, it doesn't seem to matter.

Distance-learning courses are on average £1,000 cheaper than fully-residential courses. All schools seem to split the exams into two halves. Distance learning courses usually are 3-5 months home study with 2-3 weeks full-time classroom study then the exams for each 'half'. Fully-residential seems to be 10 weeks full-time classroom study followed by the exams for each 'half'.

I don't think employers will really care about which groundschool you took - they will be more interested to see that you passed all the exams first time (not easy with the JARs...)