PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fast Jet Circuits
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2011, 14:49
DITYIWAHP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BEagle has it in one: the most effective way of slowing from a tactical speed is by flying a high-alpha bleed turn with idle power and airbrakes out. Us fast jet types are always in a rush when we’re on recovery because we're usually late and, more importantly, flying in a roughly straight line back to base is a boring interlude between some demanding upper air work and valuable circuit training. Oh, and the average fighter doesn't turn too well at slow speeds as well.

As for avoiding threats - you would have to be over-run by the enemy or be at a DOB for this to be a factor - what threats are you facing (ie aircraft or SAMs)? I would suggest that making a recovery to base with enemy fighters in the vicinity would be a ballsey move (and very world war 2); making a recovery with a possible SAM threat - there are other techniques that you might want to consider...

And 'crab', when you next find yourself going oooohhhh and aaahhh at a jet in the overhead, it's because all of this routine fast jet stuff just happens to look cool as well .