PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air pollution in HKG
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2011, 13:49
Prince of Dzun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The IQ Air technicians came to check the apartment on Monday 9th May and here is the result. Unfortunately I could not have selected a worse day as the pollution index at location was a very low 15.. They came with a standard IQ150 purifier and two high tech air measuring units. All windows and doors of the apartment had been fully closed for 24 hours and the air quality was initially measured in each closed room. The outside air was then measured on the balcony and through opened windows. Surprisingly both the inside air and the outside air were similar at around 30,000 particles per litre of air.
The IQ150 was then switched on in one of the closed room and after 15 minutes the numbers fell from 30,000 particles per litre of air to 6000 particles per litre of air. The agent remarked that if the purifier was left running for 2 hours then the level in the room would be close to zero.
When the probe of the air measuring unit was placed in the fresh air outlet of the IQ150 it registered single digits which indicated it was doing its job.
The apartment also registered high levels of volatile organic compounds which the agent said came from paint, varnish, glue and cleaning agents. The origin of these volatile organic compounds could not be established.
After the initial purchase price the running costs is about HK$100 per month for occasional new filters and power. The filters are not cleanable, they have to be replaced.
Is it worth it?? Perhaps but I am not sure at this stage mainly because I still do not know if the heavy metal bad guys are actually being removed.

Prince of Dzun