PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glasgow Accident Inquiry Findings
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2002, 13:46
MOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot Pete:

From the AAIB report:

Shortly after take-off the commander reacted to a problem which he and some other occupants of the aircraft associated with the right engine.
The commander feathered the propeller of the right-hand engine, which was mechanically capable of producing power resulting in a total loss of thrust.
Post accident inspection did not reveal any mechanical evidence of a problem with the right hand engine.
The left engine had suffered massive disruption to its accessory gear train resulting in the loss of magneto drives, valve timing, and engine fuel and oil pumps.
Once the aircraft began to lose height a return to the airfield became impractical and a forced landing in the direction of flight should have been attempted.
In a tightening turn it stalled
In what way is this NOT pilot error?

I say again... he failed to correctly identify the failed engine (using stuff like rudder inputs and engine instruments to help him), and he stalled the aircraft in a turn back to the field. I'm sorry, but you can't get away from the FACTS .

BTW I have no axe to grind with the pilot, who was faced with a difficult problem, what I do object to is the constant shifting of blame away from the pilot for what appear to be sentimental reasons.

What progresses flight safety is a clear admission of what actually caused the crash, not some misguided loyalty to the pilot community. Let's be realistic, shall we?