PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Warming your engine?
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2002, 12:28
LowNSlow

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
SSD, sounds about right regarding the cat.

SSD & Lowtimer, pity there isn't an automatic option for the gills

who has control and QDMx3, looks like I got your posts mixed up in my befuddled mind regarding the hp of QDMx3's engine and the type of who has control's engine.

Now that I'm straight again, what kind of system allows two different aircraft types with the same model of engine to have such different criteria for such an important part of their operations:

QDMx3 quoted from his POH (Super Cub)
I believe my 0-320 handbook says you shouldn't run for more than four minues on the ground and that the engine is warm enough to take off when the throttle can be advanced without the engine coughing. It says nothing about having oil temp in the green.
who has control quoted from his POH (PZL Koliber)
Engine must be run at 1200 rpm or less until oil temp of 104deg F (40 degC) is attained.
Surely the operating criteria are unique to the engine rather than the airframe. I realise that different cooling capabilites in the cruise could be reflected in the POH but surely they will all start up/warm up the same! I don't recall seeing a Super Cub with a LoPresti style cowling with teeny weeny cooling air inlets