PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - San Francisco
Thread: San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2011, 06:28
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, you are quite right Punto!

In the days I when I trotted about the bay for fun I had a friend who lived in Mill Valley and I wanted to collect him and his wife from close to their home. I had noticed a pad near the freeway so I dropped in (I think they were called Commodore or something - they had red helicopters) and asked if I could use their pad.

After much grumbling by the owner about visiting aircraft and additional movements I shoved a wad of bills in his hand and which action had the effecting of transforming his countenance from a furrow of frowns to a broad smile followed immediately by "when will you be landing?"

There was a delightful chap employed at the Mill Valley operation, 'Rusty', who flew the KGO radio ship. He became a good friend and on one of my visits I dropped into the Mill Valley pad and took him for a spin. He loved the Ecureuil so much that he came back to Oakland with me where he met the AstroCopters CP who ended-up offering him a job! I believe he flew with them for several years.

To bring the conversation full circle, the sea plane op was, as far as I recall, situated almost directly behind the Mill Valley helipad.

In addition to a night flight and a seaplane ride the other thing I would recommend (especially during the summer months) is a 'sparrow-fart' sortie on one of those days when the classic San Francisco fog blankets the bay. Stunningly beautiful!

Sav

Last edited by Savoia; 9th May 2011 at 06:52. Reason: Typos!