PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passengers shriek and sob as plane plummets
Old 9th May 2011, 00:25
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
NSEU – I think many of those here (inc myself) are simply alluding to the fact that the Media prefer to sensationalise events thereby amplifying the often groundless fears people have meaning that, over time, people start to expect the worst.

One also has to realise that hysteria breeds hysteria – and it seems the media just love that and use it deliberately to “sell” a story to the Editor on Duty. The whole report I alluded to was the Reporter desperately (and obviously) feeding totally leading questions to this bloke off the flight to get the right sensational soundbites culminating in the “near death” question. It was media sensationalism at it’s very worst! The two aircraft never came anywhere near each other as the go-around aircraft was almost leveling off for the return to the ILS as it overflew the airfield.

Anyone seen “And next, an XYZ Boeing 737 carried out a pre-planned go-around at Luton airport earlier today. Such events, while rare, are practiced continually in refresher training and are perfectly normal … in fact, I’ve no idea why I’m actually reporting this non-story! Sorry, moving swiftly on… Yesterday, President Obama met with the Russian… ”

Your event sounds different to the routine events I refer to but, maybe Airlines et al (take any industry you care to mention) now tend to over-play-down events knowing that the media will simply ramp it up out of all proportion anyway. Ah, mind-games – seemingly what life is all about these days – sadly!