PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2011, 22:10
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
woodvale, a few decades ago Amateur radio equipment was infected by this make it stupid simple philosophy. It (cough) missed a great deal in the assumptions it made. With older equipment and experience found I could dig out signals others didn't dream were there. (One fellow had to redesign a piece of a black world project because I could drag out and recite to him the unencrypted speech being sent. That was a MAJOR oops.)

The Amateur radio world got over this affliction. Military radio as a general rule has not. Aircraft radios are also minimal user interaction and control as well. This applies to the flight controls as hope that the airliner manufacturers may get over the make it stupid simple philosophy, too. If you are going to design an aircraft that gives up control when the automation gets confused but not before then you need the pilots to have the most wide open control possible. Maybe that will be a takeaway from AF-447.

Meantime, lobby for a switch on the radar front panel that may involve an "ARE YOU REALLY SURE?" interaction with the pilot that enables full control of the display including any raw mode that could exist. Maybe that MISS will be fixed. The pilots are being offloaded for other flight controls. So they have time to operate the radar in detail modes; and, they have time to learn how.

(And off hand I find it a little unsettling that airliners are working to become so simple to fly even al Qaeda militants can do it with minimal training.)

{^_^}