PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If you have a choice at your airline - Airbus or Boeing?
Old 8th May 2011, 16:11
PENKO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DJ77, I didn't mean to sound too harsh
Assuming that the autothrust on the 737NG is similar to that of the 777 I quite agree with you that it is very user friendly. If you don't like what it's doing, you just help it a bit.

In that sense I did have to get used to the lack of thrust feedback on the Airbus and to be honest, it did feel weird the first couple of hundred hours to fly an approach in rough weather without the moving thrust levers. But after a while you get used to it to the point that you don't miss it anymore. I know exactly what the autothrust is doing by the engine sound, seat of the pants, engine instruments etc.

Also and more importantly, there is less need to 'help' the autothrust on the Airbus, because in windy conditions the target IAS on approach is never ever fixed. This is due to a nice protection called GROUNDSPEED MINI. One second the bug is at 135kts, then it moves to 140kts, then back to 133kts, it just varies with the headwind component to maintain a constant groundspeed. This is radically different from the Boeing. It's nice to see how the autothrust works together with the FMGC in this. The less you interfere, the better it works. (In more than 3000 hours on the Airbus I have only once had to correct the autothrust because it was giving me a speed slightly below Vapp)