PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions V
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2011, 09:28
VintageKrug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a cat in Hell's chance the tiny militant faction who will actually turn up for this meeting would dare put up a show of hands which accepts the offer, and in doing so let's their mandate for strike action lapse.

So it's a foregone conclusion that the show of hands will reject almost any offer short of re-instatement of the Sacked & Suspended, full restoration of staff travel, continuation of legal cases and abolition of Mixed Fleet.

It will be very interesting to see what action Unite takes after this Meeting to reign in its errant branches.

While I don't think Unite would sanction Unprotected action, I can see it wanting to be seen to support its Branch Executive, while at the same time setting out the risks of taking Unprotected Action to its membership (something BASSA has never done).

That would further strengthen Unite's agenda (to directly control BA's cabin crew membership, and more power to them) while marginalising BASSA and its militant leadership.

I would expect a BASSA-proposed unprotected strike before the end of the month, Unite treading very carefully to inform members they risk being sacked, almost imperceptible effect on the BA Operation and several BASSA crew members sacked for not turning up for work before support for action peters out, and Unite assumes direct control of the Branches, and agrees a settlement with BA which will in some way involve some sort of pay increase for Mixed Fleet (the part MF plays in this is still not clear to me, but it's definitely significant in winning over Unite).

I still don't see the PCCC – Professional Cabin Crew Council playing a credible role in all this.