PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying and re-instating a disused airfield
Old 8th May 2011, 06:26
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There have been multiple threads on this here.

Most people start a farm strip under the 28 day rule.

Then, after 10 years, you can apply for a permanent permission which is based on the movements that have actually taken place (you have to keep a log).

Starting one from scratch is extremely rare. I looked into it some years ago and the advice I got from a planning consultant (who I have used for a "difficult" house extension job and believe to be very competent) is that it is possible but has virtually never been attempted so there is little knowledge around. The budget needed would be about £100k for the planning app, which is not a problem if you are successful. However, this planning consultant works by doing under the table deals with councillors, to get one app approved in return for modifying or dropping another, more controversial, one (which the client doesn't actually want, but they don't know that) and this is the most effective method of working the local govt machinery. For an airfield project which is sure to have total opposition, you would need an aggressive (and clever - a rare combination) type and take it all the way to a DoE hearing with a QC.