PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2011, 20:58
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
HN39, quote:
I'm wondering about the possibility that Alpha-Prot engaged due to turbulence at, say, 2:09:50. Too much of a coincidence perhaps?

Can Alpha-protection be activated while the AP is engaged?

Re the NAT-TRK A340, think you and NOD are right to consider the possibility that the initial pitch-up was caused by overspeed protection, which also disconnected the AP. With speed back in limits, Normal Law would be restored. As NOD implies, absence of sidestick movement by the PF would allow a 1G (approx) trajectory, with speed decaying (and AoA rising) until Alpha-Prot was activated.

The report highlights the plethora of aural warnings (overspeed continuous-repetitive-chime plus TCAS resolution call), which it says would have initially caused the AP-disconnect "cavalry charge" to be inhibited. There is no separate W/L for AP disconnect. It uses the same Master W/L as the overspeed warning.

EDIT
I should add that there are other indications of AP status:
(1) the right-most FMA (flight-mode "annunciator") on each PFD;
(2) the green LED on the respective AP push-button (or absence of) on the FCU (glareshield).

PS
Thanks, Lemurian, re AoA indicators on all Air Inter A/C, and the link to what is otherwise my old office...
Thanks, ChristiaanJ: just checking you were still paying attention.

Last edited by Jetdriver; 8th May 2011 at 00:49.