PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happened to the Phillips Speedtwin?
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2002, 06:13
LowNSlow

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Question What happened to the Phillips Speedtwin?

The Phillips Speedtwin is/was a twin engined (surprise surprise) taildragger with a tandem cockpit. It looked like a cross between the Argentinian Pucara and a Gloster Meteor. Fully aerobatic, it could be cartwheeled off a vertical climb like Zurakowski did with the Meteor. With a fixed undercarriage and 2 x O-200 engines it was the closest to being a fast (140 knots from memory) and affordable twin you're likely to get.

The chap who flight tested it for Pilot gave it rave reviews especially for the superb handling and wonderful cockpit. I remember reading the flight test of this beautiful aeroplane back in the '80s and thinking that I would love one once I'd got my PPL and some cash and a bucket load of time to build one . I later learned that the gentleman who had designed and built it had sadly died and assumed that development of it had stopped.

I was therefore very surprised and delighted to see a picture of one (I assume it was the original but repainted) taken at North Weald (I think) this summer. It had speedtwin.co.uk on the nose but I only get told that the site has been sold when I try to access it.

Does anybody out there have any information regarding the status of the manufacturer, plans for the future etc of this beauty?