PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can someone explain why the MRA4 has been cancelled before we screw up big time.
Old 7th May 2011, 18:29
DFM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scottish base closures

K Flap et al.......For whatever reason the MRA4 has gone to meet it's maker, it's no more, it's deed and I totally accept that fact, trust me.

I am mearly speculating that we now have a situation, whether expected or manufactured, that is even more politically conducive to base closures in Scotland. I sincerely hope I am wrong about Lossie in particular and/or Leuchars, but closing one or both will certainly do less harm to the current Govt than closing a couple in Englandshire. It all sounds very Machiavellian I know, but there seems to be no other good reason for linking Kinloss exclusively with the MRA4. I believe you will struggle to find a base that is better provisioned in respect of real estate, facilities, location and weather suitable for aviation. Moreover, I don't believe any of the high paid help(sic) who visited Kinloss post SDSR answered the question about linkage and appeared totally stumped by the decision to close Kinloss too. However, lets be positive and hope the basing study decision surprises us all in June, and Lossie and Leuchars remain on the map............as RAF bases.