PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "I have control and communications, ECAM actions"
Old 7th May 2011, 16:47
Microburst2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree in the packs thing.

Disagree in the RTO. I have been taught not to do anything but monitor reverse deployment and deceleration until parking brake is set. I don't know if this is airbus specific or in the airlines I have flown.

Of course, if the RTO is al low speed or in a long runway and your heart rate is normal, then you can call tower before that. Otherwise I think it is much better to stick to the many times rehearsed drill, monitor the RTO and do nothing, say nothing till the park brake is set.

anyway I think the tower controler will be aware of the RTO well before the airplane comes to a stop.

Cpt solipsist

I don't think of it as you do. I separate each thing. PF can leave comms to the PNF if he so wishes, or take the radio later rather than immediately.

And there is the old confusing moment when, for instance, the FO is PF. Because the captain will set the tasks. Many times he will initiate the ECAM actions without waiting for the FO to give the command (very frequently in my sim and real life experience). Therefore, many times, before you have ended the sentence "... controls" they are already pushing buttons all over the panels and even FCU. I decided not to race with such captains some time ago because it makes me nervous and I feel pushed to do things in a rushed manner, without paying due attention to flying and navigating. since they have already split the team, I focus on the fly-nav and request their assistance if needed (sometimes insisting several times in "set HDG xxx or V/S xxx" before they have the courtesy to do it). If flight path and navigation are satisfactory I wonder if there is any communication required. If so, I do the comm (usually a brief nature of failure and intentions). Only then I pay attention to the ECAM. Then we are a team again. Sometimes it is the reverse: they are PF and command ECAM actions when they still have the THR LK pulsing or there is need for a few FCU inputs and he "wants" to be all alone barely flying the airplane while watching you anxiously to push some panel pushbutton. Then I do my job and assist him in flying navigating before proceeding with the ECAM.

It is better to let the team be split and ensure proper flight path and navigation than remain a team without doing it and with both heads down.

I think there is still a lot to be improved in CRM and CRM training.

Last edited by Microburst2002; 7th May 2011 at 17:04.