PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft down in Belgium - 2 fatalities
Old 7th May 2011, 16:40
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Though Tomahawks are the frequent victim of unkind chatter for handling, they are a type cerified aircraft, and as such have demonstrated compliance with stall handling and recovery requirements, which include not being suceptable to a deep, or unrecoverable stall. Aircraft types (larger than a Tomahawk) which are suceptable to deep stall are required to have things like stick pushers to be barriers against stall entry.

Therefore pilots should remain confident that the Tomahawk, along with other certified types, has met the requirements for stalls, and is safe to stall. No aspects of the flight of a certified aircraft are permitted to require "very good airmanship". The standard applicable to the Tomahawk begins with:
The aeroplane must meet the requirements of 523.143 through 523.253 at all practical loading conditions and operating altitudes for which certification has been requested, not exceeding the maximum operating altitude established under 523.1527, and without requiring exceptional piloting skill, alertness, or strength.
(bering in mind that the referenced paragraphs are all of the flight standards, including stalls. This is the Canadian version, but it's the same as the FAA verison in this case)

Now, that is predicated on good aircraft condition, and correct loading. An improperly rigged, or misloaded aircraft could have a very different recovery, though I'm not making any reference to this particular situation, as I know nothing about it.

I will watch with interest to see if a cause is found for this accident....