PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of Hong Kong Airlines
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2011, 13:29
too.girls.one.cup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi I am new to HKA last year.

I find out they not paying some things they should. 50000 $HK each year.

I had interview with Hong Kong Labour Department to confirm some things, and they agree that HKA is not paying pilots the legal amount for annual leave and holiday pay. The department said they are aware of this issue for some time, but the pilots have never stick together to force the issue.

When we did the calculations the amount they underpay us is about 40,000 or more each year. Depends if your captain or first officer.

There are 5 pilots who are now willing to put pressure to get paid what is correct. (The amount the government published we should be paid to all employees) We are trying to get more pilots, to join us and make the company stop fraudulently underpaying us.

The laws can be found here Department of Justice: Bilingual Laws Information System
Chapter 57 Section 40 Payment of holiday pay and Section 41 Rate of holiday pay.

One of the laws they are breaking is paying ONLY basic salary during annual leave when we should receive the average daily rate for the annual leave period for the previous 12 months. (Average means basic salary plus hourly flight pay)

The other law they are breaking is not paying “extra” when we work on a statutory holidays.

The other thing is we are not receiving a “substitute DDO” if we work on a statutory holiday as specified in section 40. The just write DDO-SH in our roster, and it is not an 'extra' day off just the next normal DDO on your roster.

The unfortunate thing is, the Labour Department told me they advised HKA in 2009 and last year that they were not legally paying what they should, and the company ignored them. They advised me that any court case about this and the Judge will hand down severe punishment to the Managers responsible because they have been formally warned yet decide to ignore the Government Law. The pilots also have advised the company many times.

They also told me that any employee of HKA is entitled to back pay plus interest for the last 6 years plus more for damages. Each pilot that been there for 6 years can expect a cheque for 400,000 or more and new pilots can expect 50,000 for each year of employment.

50,000 hkd is $6500 USD and that money is yours. Are you going to raise you voice to ask for clarification?

You can also email the Human Resources Department, DFO and Finance Department for clarification. They are the department heads who will be responsible for all the back pay and Government fines, and bad publicity against the company.

Or if you want the facts from the Government, do what I did and organise an interview with the Labour Department here. Labour Department - What's New
Telephone : 2852 4192

We have all been F#c@ed our entire career don’t sit back and do nothing.

And for the guys that say "I told you so". Thanks I know but I am just getting another 500 hours and going to Korean Airlines. This job is nothing but a jumping stone for all but the oldest pilots here.