PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2011, 11:54
takata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ventus45
1. there is a black/green-ish square
(A) what is it's significance ?
(B) where they expecting the recorders to be within that area perhaps ?
(C) where the the recorders actually found within that area ?
(D) if not, do you know where they were located ?
From what I heard in the BEA videos, this is the penciled square zone where they were looking in priority for the CVR/FDR and they called it "the heavy debris field / North East zone"; There is also, inside it, a black circle with a black cross drawn on it: I guess it is where they discovered the FDR's chassis.

2. the engines are marked one and two.
(A) do you know if that means port and starboard respectively for sure ?
(B) could they be just convenient number designators ?
(C) could they be reversed, ie, starboard and port respectively ?
3. the two wing & MLG groups are marked, but not annotated.
(A) do we know which group is port and which is starboard ?
For sure, no but they are labeled by hand on this map: "Engine #1" and "Engine #2", so I guess also it means what you think.

I can't read most of the details written about the wings and I'm not even sure the western one is finally a wing as it looks like one from its shape on those video frames but when I cross-checked with other documents, I believe now that I may have been wrong. The first big piece of wreckage west of those engines seems also to be captioned "wing".

The legend at the top of the eastern wing looked like a couple of capital letters followed by "MLG" but it may be simply "WING". "Wing" is also handwritten below it (most captions are a mix of French and English). I can clearly read "fuselage section [unreadable]" from various captions.

4. do you know where the APU is ?
5. do you know where the flight deck is ?
6. do you know where the avionics bay is ?
7. do you know where the HS is ?
No, no, no, no!
There is definitively not enough pixels on those frames to go further into the details and, well... it is also killing my eyes.

Originally Posted by Machaca
What is the large (largest?) item/section far to the right of the engines (circled in blue)?
You are right about the engines circled in blue and I have no idea what is this lonely large piece of wreckage east of them (which is not pictured on the other map). I'll guess this is a fuselage part which had some buoyancy remaining and that drifted back to this place as all the wreckage, excepted it, seems to be obviously spreading from East to West in the deep.