PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions V
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2011, 10:49
Betty girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

alpha,

Yes of course, I did point out that these can be influenced. In various ways! One by giving them out to only happy passengers! Two, by not handing in bad ones but this actually leaves the CSD with a low return rate figure! Some hand back 100% and they are accountable for their return rate!

Of course M/F longhaul flights are the same I believe, as they, I believe, also hand them out and human nature dictates that the way a CSM would do this would be the same as a WW CSD. In fact a CSM would have a bigger interest in only handing in good ones as their pay is performance rated partly on their survey scores and a CSD's is not. If they are done electronically on their flights ie by email (and I have to be honest, I am not sure which way longhaul M/F crew do theirs, shorthaul is definitely like E/F and by email), the problems the same, you can't compare the two sets of scores and they will look very different to WW scores!! That was the point I was making, not whether it was a good system or not because neither is.

On E/F ,where I work we have no influence over what people respond (other than giving all our customers a lovely flight) but I have to tell you that the response rates are very low when sent out by email. As a E/F Purser I can see my personal scores for each month and these can vary from 100% one month to much lower figure the next month and this is because of low return rates!
If for instance only two replied for a particular flight, one said very good and one said just good, you would get a score of 50% because you are scored on how many passengers think you are 'very good' or 'exceptional' and a 'good' does not count towards your percentage. If only one replied on your flight, and they gave you a score of very good, you would get a score of 100%!! So these scores when multiplied up by BA are really showing them a trend for a route or an aircraft and are not very precise for individual senior crew members. It is not just as simple as a score for how you were, there are scores for presence in cabin, friendly, efficient etc and all the categories get a score and do vary in our individual figures!

The email version that is on my flights on E/F and some Mixed Fleet flights is less biased but not so good to track an individual senior crew member because of the low return rate and sometimes the passengers are answering about their longhaul sector and not even your flight because they have taken more than one flight by the time they receive the survey!

Basically I was only explaining a little about how these surveys are done to show you that it is hard to compare WW, E/F and M/F's scores because they are acquired in a different way. WW one way, E/F another and M/F either the same as E/F or a mix of them both! So saying that one fleet is performing better or not, is a pretty silly thing to say. As I said, the scores on all the fleets are up and are good and BA is happy with the cabin crew on all the fleets.

I hope that has clarified it for you.

I am not saying the handing out way is good as being a E/F Purser I don't understand why WW are still handing them out, on E/F it has not happened for years now but I am not sure if the email version is satisfactory either but it cannot be influenced by the crew handing them out, as you say to their favorite passengers!

I just wish more passengers would reply to the emails but of course, I am guilty of not replying to hotels, sometimes myself, when they email me or give me a form at reception!!

The reason for me mentioning all this in the first place was not because I think WW is better or not than M/F, it was in direct response to another poster saying that M/F scores were better. They are not, they are also good but the two sets cannot be compared for the reason I give to you plus bizarrely, they often have more crew due to VCCs and supernumerary crew under training! So even if it was possible to compare the results it would not be a fair comparison anyway!! As I said, their scores were lower than WW but higher than E/F but they are obtained in different ways, so not comparable.

Wow, that's a long answer, sorry!!!

Last edited by Betty girl; 7th May 2011 at 22:09.