PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone interested in the Profession anymore?
Old 7th May 2011, 05:38
WhiskeyKilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is working for an airline that bad?

I have always idolized pilots and plan to become one when I'm older. I plan to follow in my grandfather's and my uncle's footsteps and become an 'aviator'. I avidly follow aviation websites/articles, spend more than 4 hours a week on the flight sim (mum hates that ) and am even choosing my school subjects to help me in the piloting world.

I plan to go through the cadet process to kick-start my piloting career. Mainly because it gives me job security and helps me to gain SIC of an airliner soon. I am also considering getting my Aviation Degree and then bush flying in order to get raw flying skills. It may be for peanuts but I believe it will give me more skills then doing the cadetship.

I don't really care about the money as much, as long as it covers my needs and the occasional splurge. The first time I flew an aircraft I loved it, that sense of taking to the air, being buffeted by a crosswind on landing and all the other experiences. I know kids that have the potential to be brilliant mathematicians or businessmen/women but prefer to be tradies as they love building and creating things. I think its the same in piloting, potential pilots do it because they love flying (well, the kids I know). I only have one life and I plan to enjoy it by doing the thing I love. At my school and in my circle of friends, they still hold pilots in high regard, thinking of them as smart, skilled professionals that do a great job. Much the same as my view.

I believe EK wants 700 pilots this year, with other airlines much the same. I would have thought that the pay-rate would be pretty high. Especially considering a Qantas pilot just bought a house in Melbourne's leafiest suburb for 2.5million. Judging from some articles/threads I have read, I believe working as a pilot in UK/USA is pretty poor, is it the same in Aus/Asia?

If flying for an airline is as bad as some people say, should I try corporate?

Any feedback or comments about my views/potential routes to flying/questions would be greatly appreciated.

If piloting is not for me then I guess I'll have to fall back on my reserve career: go across to the US and join the Marines