PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "I have control and communications, ECAM actions"
Old 6th May 2011, 20:31
Microburst2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the syntax

Have you seen that video of TAP in the 320 sim?

I think it is there that I heard them say "no ecam actions" when there were no blue lines.

After many year sin real situations and in simulators, what I have learnt is that the phraseology is important, but the meaning is more important, and as someone said, adhering blindly to the sintax can be dangerous.

In the first place, the "ECAM ACTIONS" command does not necessarily follow after "I have controls" immediately. The "I have communications" doesn't necessarily follow, either. Not immediately, at least.

The order is Aviate (or fly) Navigate and Communicate. Then deal with the failure. So the ECAM actions are the last priority here. If you always say "I have controls and communications, ECAM ACTIONS" you can put the mind of the other pilot away from flight, navigation and communications too soon.

Both pilots have to ensure the Aviate part (one handling, the other supervising and assisiting), both pilots have to ensure the Navigate part (one handling, the other supervising and assisting) and both pilots have to ensure the Communicate (one talking, the other supervising, listening and assisiting). You don't split the team in two individuals yet. After these things ensured, then both pilots have to ensure the handling of the failure or failures. Both must have their minds in it, too.

Another important thing regarding this is that you have to check the SD page to confirm the failure and its details before doing any ECAM blue lines. In my opinion, the ECAM actions should never be commanded till a few seconds after the caution. Except in red warnings, nothing very bad is going to happen inmediately, so there is no rush. The ECAM actions are only there to isolate the fault. Sometimes there is nothing to isolate, but you still need to know that the item is faulty so you can troubleshoot, check the FCOMs...

The pilot handling should only order the ECAM ACTIONS after having ascertained that the ariplane follows the desired flight path at the desired speed, that the airplane is properly navigated and that necessary communications (if any) are carried out satisfactorily. The pilot non handling will have nothing else to do than to assist and supervise his mate, and detect any errors at the onset, rather than going head down as if the ECAM was in command of the airplane.

Then we can devote more attention to the failure, to its implications, do some troubleshooting and make a decision.

Getting confused like a robot with a bad code line in the software when something happens that you don't know how to express would be very sad.

Splitting a team at the very moment a failure is displayed in the ECAM is very sad, too. And exactly the opposite to good CRM, which is what we want to improve with "the syntax".