PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling all helicopter pilots
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2011, 14:37
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is what I would have described as a nice 'Jacky boy' approach!

Came in too fast thus needed alot of back cyclic in order to arrest both the rate of closure and the descent. There is also the potential to enter 'auto rotation' when decelerating fast from almost level flight which would necessitate controlling Nr during the flare.

The nose is so high that the pilot only has a limited view of the rig through the foot quarter windows, again makes judging the rate of closure very difficult and thus your deck positioning. Direct flight to the deck allows for no errors as an engine failure in the final approach could put the helo into the rig and an engine failure over the deck with large torque changes thus rapid engine demand with forward speed could put the helo into the deck!

In my time flying the S61 to rigs I was always concerned about the Bears being on the pad, the cranes surrounding the pad and the winds. Thus my approach was always to the side of the pad. From there you could stabalise the approach, had a safe entry/exit lane, could monitor the wind and the surroundings and had an escape route if an engine failed.

Once happy beside the pad move laterally across slowly and safely committing to the deck only when you are directly over it.

Horses for courses, perhaps he was bored, I know I was many a time!