PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions V
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2011, 12:42
VintageKrug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would imagine Holley’s “pay” is actually quite modest. It’s more the total package that would tell the true story.

He has said he gets an “honorarium” of £25,000 per annum, half of what he’s entitled to. Good for him.

I would be more interested in the detail of the Union Pension (likely to be considerable), Private Healthcare, Car Scheme, Day Rate Payments for Union Duties, Additional Union Pay During IA, connected persons employed by him (e.g. his local accountancy firm), possible family members/friends/colleagues employed to perform administrative duties (such as the disastrous and incompetent outsource of the membership records), and other expenses claimed by him (including any legal expenses).

There may also be severance payments, and then potentially a nice golden parachute into a cushy job at Unite to see out his days.

All perfectly legal and above board, I’m sure, as HMRC can no doubt attest. But in the spirit of transparency it would seem prudent to publish these figures to the hard pressed membership who fund his lifestyle.

I would imagine, all in, that it’s a pretty tidy sum, on top of his previous book publishing exploits and other “outside interests”.

-----

We still haven’t seen the judgement from his Employment Tribunal, but its obviously not resulted in vindication or re-instatement. Anyone got a link?

----

On the matter of Mixed Fleet pay mentioned on the other thread, it does seem to be on the lower side of expectations, but it is being continually compared to legacy fleet T&Cs and wages – these were common in the past at other airlines BUT ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE IN THE MARKETPLACE. In many cases, such fleets have been wound down, or their employees made redundant. BA has chosen not to pursue this path, and that’s to be respected for lots of reasons. But a more apt comparison is against the uncertainty of a seasonal chart contract or a contract with Virgin which I posted some detailed stats on the previous page which set out that BA MF pays a little more (not much) than a new recruit to Virgin might expect (though their not recruiting right now).

When you add onto that the Performance Related BONUS (which does seem to less than easy to understand) from which MF will benefit, it does seem MF will be in the range of market+10% when judged on a full year basis.

-----

The end game must surely be nearing; Holley’s statements in recent weeks have been preparing his membership for an honourable settlement, and he’s now disconnected from participation from the negotiations. If he chooses to call a strike, with or without backing from Unite, its limited impact on the BA operation will surely marginalise the militant leadership of BASSA even further (personally I rather hope he does call one, so the militant boil can be lanced once and for all).

I can’t imagine what it must have been like for Cabin Crew working under such conditions for nearly TWO YEARS now, and surely it’s time to call it a day. As ever, I continue to receive good to excellent service on board from existing crews, though it is noticeable that the dispute has diminished the “spark” that could often be perceived. Let’s hope a settlement will all all factions to move forward, and set BA’s industrial relations on a stable platform so crew have the representation they deserve and BA Management is able to manage and seek common cause with those delivering the product to passengers.

It’s good to note this month’s passenger stats revealed that BASSA’s impotent strike threats have had no effect whatsoever on forward bookings. BASSA has nothing left in its armoury.

----

I would imagine any settlement will take as its starting point the October 2010 offer, never put to cabin crew, which not all crew have had an opportunity to read:

http://uniteba.com/ESW/Files/151010_...llectivev6.doc

It’s time to move on.