PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2011, 09:53
ChinaBeached

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Em777ER: I must say, well put together. I few numbers I believe a bit wayward on either side of the equation but by & large I believe closer to the penalty spot than ball park.

So, if you don't enjoy a night out on the town, a meal at a restaurant, holidays away from home for at least 10 years you may be able to afford a deposit on a property. Deposit only (30% of property value required). This is not considering inflation, etc. As per a previous post, maybe in 20-25 years you can own that same shoebox. Not counting the cost of kids or an unemployed spouse for perhaps 12 months.... That'll mean a bigger place for necessity, not as a luxury.

Now you've got to furnish that place. Around 3-4 months saving at least. Again, little to no room for much if at all else. Renovate? Keep multiplying!

All this on a NON-INDEXED "allowance", considering HK's 22% INCREASE in housing recently? This "opportunity" keeps getting better!! Hong Kong Rents Third Most Expensive in the World - Hong Kong - WSJ

A quiet night out in HK will set you back a min of $500 HKD. That x 4 is $2000 a month just to have a small percentage of what's called "quality of life". A meal at a half decent restaurant is not included.

Hope your Valentine enjoys Maccas Happy Meal vouchers & you learn to brew your own. This is the "opportunity" so many if you are desperate & blindly begging for.

Last edited by ChinaBeached; 6th May 2011 at 10:51.