PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "I have control and communications, ECAM actions"
Old 6th May 2011, 09:08
Bagot_Community_Locator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I have control and communications, ECAM actions"

Most Airbus pilots should be very familiar with the above phrase, something you say when there are ECAM actions to do (blue action lines) following some type of failure.

When I was flying one day, the ECAM detected a failure and it displayed the failure on the Engine/warning display.

There were no action lines, just the failure.

I was the PF and I used those dreaded words "I have control and communications, ECAM actions", however the other pilot responded to me "this is not an ECAM action", as there were no action lines on the ECAM

Fair enough, no action line means no ECAM actions. However we/someone still had to deal with the failure, which involved :
- confirming/clearing the failure
- checking/performing any computer resets (QRH)
- reading/removing the status page
- consulting FCOM 3

I always thought all failures, whether action lines on ECAM or not, whether by reference to ECAM or QRH, were all done the same way.
Where one pilot (PF) takes control of the aircraft and communications and the other (PNF) deals with the failure, either by ECAM or QRH.

Now this pilot I was with basically told me that since there are no ECAM actions to be done, that the above phrase is not necessary (the failure is not dealt with in the usual Airbus way).

So how do you deal with a failure in an Airbus if there are no ECAM actions displayed ?
How do you deal with a failure if it requires reference to the QRH and not the ECAM ?

Do you still say "I have control and communications, ECAM actions (QRH checklist)" or do you do deal with the failure like you do in other non-airbus aircraft ? Where the PNF deals with the failure and still handles the communications and does not hand it over to you ?