PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First post, from a wannabe
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2001, 19:06
Sagey

Post First post, from a wannabe

Its only my second visit to this site, only found it yesterday.

I am 22, at one of the alleged "better universities" (University College London if u really want to know) and graduate from my degree this summer (hopefully will at least pass it). Over last 2 years not really been happy with degree, but have slogged it out etc. Sick of hearing fellow students ranting about, have u applied to this bank, to this company to do this etc. And it simply isn't what I want to do.

All I wanna do is fly (admittedly at the age of 5 I wanted to be a Spitfire pilot, but once the fear of being shot at and the realisation that I had missed the boat by a good few decades<g>, turned my attention to Commercial flying.

However I am absolutely skint, I have paid for a few lessons in the past but it was more as a "treat" than a continued thing due to limitied funds atm, and obviously will be applying to airlines for sponsorship. But more importantly, if I have to fund myself how easy is it to obtain loans etc with reasonable rates of interest. Are there companies that offer loans only for wannabe pilots, on similiar terms to Student loans?

Another slight concern is jobs, I dread the thought of being stuck in a desk job doing something I absolutely loathe. All energy being taken up by the job, not great pay and struggling to fund even a ppl. And then missing the boat, as another avenue has taken me away from where I want to go. There are probably loads saying that is exactly like me, and it has probably been said so many times on this board. But any advice in a general context concerning such cases would be excellent.

Have thoroughly enjoyed reading the site and hope that my first contribution has not bored you all to death. Keep up the good work

Si